I jumped into the deep end with this one. I have never made lasagna, nor could I even guess at how to make it [oh hi, thanks Google!].
Thanks to Allrecipes.com, I used the 'World's Best Lasagna' as a guideline, and tweaked it as necessary.
1 lb extra lean ground beef
1/2 cup minced onion
2 cloves crushed garlic
1 can crushed tomatoes (28 oz)
2 cans tomato paste (6 oz)
2 cans tomato sauce (6.5 oz)
1/2 cup water
2 tbsp white sugar
Sprinkle of basil
Pinch of salt
Pinch of pepper
4 tbsp parsley
12 lasagna noodles (I used raw, then cooked them, but you can buy them fresh as well)
16 oz ricotta cheese
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Pour a touch of oil into a frying pan and add the onions and garlic. Add in the ground beef and brown
2. Add in the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce and water. Stir in the sugar and basil.
3. Simmer for 20 minutes
4. In another pot, bring 4 cups of water to a boil before adding in the lasagna noodles (if you bought the noodles fresh, ignore this step!)
5. Once the noodles are cooked, drain and rinse with cold water
6. In a mixing bowl, mix the ricotta and egg together.
Now, pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees F.
7. In a 9x13 pan, put a cup of the tomato meat sauce on the bottom of the pan
8. Lay the noodles down lengthwise
9. Spread about a cup of ricotta cheese mixture on top of the noodles
10. Sprinkle some mozzarella cheese on top
11. Repeat steps 8-10
12. Put in oven and bake for 25 minutes, with foil on top. After 25 minutes, take the foil off and bake for 25 minutes more
I sprayed the bottom of the foil with bakers spray, just so it wouldn't stick to the cheese.
Get in our bellies! I wish I caught Ken's face on camera when he took a bite. I was quite proud that this turned out so well! I could chalk it up to beginner's luck, but I guess we'll find out next time...