Jan 13, 2015

Meal 9: Chicken & Black Bean Rice Skillet

So, not only was tonight's dinner extremely easy to make, but it was also delicious (if I do say so myself ;)

This reminds me of something my mom used to make - a yummy rice and sausage concoction that I will need to ask her the recipe for....

But until I get that, this meal will do!

You'll need:

  • 2 cups brown rice, uncooked
  • A few splashes of extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 cup white onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
  • 1/2 cup black beans, drained (about 1/2 15 ounce can)
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 lemon, squeeze the juice!
  • 2 cups cooked, chopped chicken 
  • 1 teaspoon hot sauce 
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

  • First, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and heat cast iron skillet over medium heat, add oil.

  • Next, cook the rice and set it aside. When the oil is hot, add onion and garlic.  After about 5 minutes,  stir in cooked rice, black beans, cumin, lemon juice, chicken and hot sauce. Top with cheeses and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until cheese is melted. 
By looking at these photos, it doesn't really look that appetizing.  But I assure you - it was one that we'll be making again!





Serves 8 (for the two of us, I naturally halved this recipe!)

No comments:

Post a Comment