In addition to the the fact that Italy is such an incredible country, the food was just how I expected it.
Everywhere we went, we heard 'Mamma Mia!' So, after the first several times of hearing this phrase, we added on '.....Pizzeria!' which we thought was a nice touch. Well, maybe for us....
We didn't eat too much pizza while in Italy (ok, maybe we enjoyed our fair share...), but the pizza that we did have was incredible.
Since then, we've been working on perfecting our homemade pie, and tonight, I think we finally did it.
Pizza dough - we used a generic kind from the grocery store
Can of tomato sauce
2 cups of s
hredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 chopped white onion
1 tbsp olive oil
Flour (to help roll the dough out)
Preheat the oven to 475 degree F
1. Sprinkle some flour onto a pan, and on the dough - to eliminate it sticking as you roll out the dough
2. If you're fancy, throw'er up in the air!
2. Pour the sauce into the stretch out dough and spread around to cover the base
3. Sprinkle some shredded mozzarella cheese on the bottom
4. Add your sliced pepperoni, chopped onion
5. Sprinkle the remaining mozzarella overtop the pepperoni (but not too heavy, too much isn't a good thing!)
6. Glaze the crust with a light covering of olive oil
7. Bake in the oven for approximately 15 minutes, or until the the cheese is completely melted and the crust is slightly browned