Feb 27, 2015

#23 Sweet & Sour Extravaganza

I may have mentioned in a previous post that I am not the hugest fan of chicken.  I'm not sure what it is, but I would take a steak or ribs over chicken, any day!

But, as I don't steer clear of it... I just try to spice it up!  

I came across this Sweet & Sour Chicken recipe from the food blog, Natasha's Kitchen (http://natashaskitchen.com/2014/12/11/sweet-and-sour-chicken-recipe/) and figured I'd give it a go.  I did tweak it a bit, as there are only two of us.

Well, it was pretty awesome!

You'll need

Chicken Prep
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, chopped
Salt and Pepper to taste
1/2 cup cornstarch
3 large eggs, lightly beaten

1/4 cup vegetable oil

For the sauce
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
4 Tbsp ketchup
1 Tbsp soy sauce
3/4 cup granulated sugar

1 tsp garlic salt

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.


1. Ok, so first - take your 2 chicken breasts and cut them into squares.





Easy, right?

2. Add your cornstarch into a large ziplock, and slip the chicken inside, sealing the bag.
3. Give it a shake and get the chicken all covered with the cornstarch






4.  Crack your eggs into a medium sized bowl and mix.
5. Add the chicken into the bowl, completely covering them with egg



6. Add your oil to the pan, and get it hot!  Very hot!
7. Transfer the chicken into the oil, and keep it in there for only approximately 30 seconds.  You'll know to take it out when the chicken is golden - not brown


Once all the chicken is golden, put them in a 9 x 13 pan (or whichever size fits them all..) and have them wait for the sauce.


And now for the sauce!

8.  Mix together all the sauce ingredients: apple cider vinegar, ketchup, soy sauce, granulated sugar & garlic salt



9.  Drizzle the sauce mixture over the chicken and put into the oven.
10. Bake for 1 hour, flipping the chicken once to ensure both sides are coated with the sauce. 



 Not pictured below is the rice, that wasn't ready in time.  I'm still struggling on everything being done on time, but getting there!  Slowly, anyhow...





Lately, I've been loving asparagus with just olive oil drizzled on top, with a good shake of parmesan cheese on top.  I put it in the oven for the last 8-10 minutes of whatever is baking in there!  


The next post will be the Fitness post featuring Ash!  Her and I have been "competing" on FitBit, and she is really kicking my butt.  Personally, I am LOVING the fitbit and it really has been motivating me to get going.  It is eye opening how little you move, when working a) at a desk for 8 hours a day, and b) at home.  Now, I have Ash keeping me gear, and also my wedding day - coming up in 8 months!  

xo Jess







No comments:

Post a Comment